Short Term Rental Information
The Town of South Fork Board of Trustees has instituted a moratorium as of June 28, 2022 on short term rentals for the next 90 days
Short-Term Rental Use Approval Requirements for Short-Term Rentals with in the Town Limits of the Town of South Fork
Per the South Fork Municipal Code Chapter 16, Section 16-6-120 (Short-term rental or vacation rental uses). The following criteria shall be met before a Short Term Rental Use Permit is issued. Any violation of these conditions may result in an administrative revocation of a permit. Excessive number of verified complaints associated with a short term rental use of a property may result in an administrative revocation of a permit.
- Payment of a one-time $300 Short Term Rental Application Fee, and annual $150 Short Term Rental Renewal of Permit Fee.
- The owner must possess a current Town of South Fork Business License; the Business License must be renewed annually for every year the Owner desires to let the premises be used as a short-term rental unit. The Business License may be denied or revoked if the Owner is not in compliance with the terms and conditions of the Permit, as well as other applicable laws;
- A life safety inspection shall be ordered on a yearly basis by the Owner, at the Owner’s expense, and completed by the Town. Owner shall provide proof of inspection at time of Business License renewal. Such inspection shall determine the following:
- Fire extinguisher shall be mounted to a wall in the kitchen and utility/HVAC area;
- Smoke alarms and CO alarms shall be installed outside of each sleeping area door, in the kitchen and in the utility/HVAC area;
- Egress/Fire Escape/Ladder; and
- Maximum Occupancy Notice(s) shall be clearly posted (1 occupant for every 200 gross square feet of space).
- No trash or garbage shall be left outside of the rental unit.
- No on-street parking shall be permitted at the rental unit.
- Required liability insurance on property.
- ATV’s shall comply with all rules, regulations and permitting requirements set forth by the Town of South Fork. Rules for ATV’s and routes through town shall be posted on the property.
- It is against State law to feed the wildlife
- Observe any current fire restrictions for outdoor fires and use of BBQ’s
It is the owner’s and/or applicant’s responsibility to determine if there are any rules, regulations and/or covenants that would impact the ability to use the property as a short-term rental.
The owner of a short term rental (or an owner’s representative) shall reside in Rio Grande County or an adjacent county that shall remain on call for the entire duration of any period in which the property is occupied as a short-term rental. Contact information for the owner, or owner’s representative shall be listed on the business permit and kept on file at Town Hall. Contact information for the owner or owner’s representative shall also be posted inside of the building in a conspicuous location.
All owners are required to collect taxes from renters of STR and remit to the Department of Revenue in compliance with state requirements;
- Specific taxes to be collected are sales tax, which includes State, County, and Local sales tax; Lodging tax; and if applicable, Marketing District tax.
- Evidence of the issuance of the Colorado State sales tax license is required as a condition of the Town Administrator approval of the permit.
The above are typical conditions and the Town at its discretion may develop and publish additional criteria supplementing the above listed requirements. In the granting or denial of the short term rental use application, Town staff may consider the effect upon surrounding property owners and may request, in unusual situations that the approval or denial be subjected to the conditional use process set forth in the Town of South Fork Land Use and Development Code. The Short Term Rental Use Permit shall be issued upon the recording of the Short Term Rental Permit Agreement by the Town Clerk. The Town Clerk shall not record the Agreement until all requirements listed in the Agreement have been met by the Owner of the Property. The complete process can take up to 30 days and allows for public comment before approval. Please call the South Fork Town Hall at 719-873-0152 or email us at email@example.com if you have any questions about the application process.