General Election Information
Notice of Cancelation of
Town of South Fork Regular Municipal Election
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that the South Fork Interim Town Clerk is hereby authorized and directed to cancel the Town of South Fork regular municipal election scheduled for April 5, 2022 by the South Fork Board of Trustees per C.R.S. § 31-10-507. There being an equal number of candidates and vacancies for Trustees and Mayor and there being no ballot issues to be decided at said election.
The following candidates are declared elected to the Board of Trustees. The following persons shall each serve a four-year term and will be sworn in after April 5, 2022.
Trustee: Sarah Sparrow, Jesse Entz and Trisha Taylor
Mayor: Tyler Schmidt
Dated this March 23, 2022 Hank Weber, Interim Town Clerk
Colorado became an all-mail ballot state as of May 10, 2013. Ballots for the Municipal Election will be sent to all registered voters by mail. Ballots for the Municipal Election will be mailed by the Town of South Fork to all eligible voters. Ballots must be received at the South Fork Town Hall by mail or in person by 7:00 p.m. on Election Day in order for your vote(s) to be counted. Ballots received after 7:00 p.m. on Election Day will not be counted. POSTMARKS DO NOT COUNT AS A RECEIVED DATE! The Town Clerk is the Designated Election Official for all Regular and Special Municipal Elections, in the Clerk's absence the Deputy Clerk assumes the roll of Designated Election Official. Regular Municipal Elections are held on the first Tuesday in April of even-numbered years to elect members to the Board of Trustees and bring forward local ballot questions, when necessary. Nomination Petitions are available 91 days (January 4, 2022) prior to a Municipal Election. There will be three (3) seats on the Board of Trustees and the position of Mayor up for election. The Town is not responsible for General Elections or Elections coordinated with Rio Grande County in November. The 2022 Election will be held on April 5, 2022. Ballots will be mailed out beginning March 14, 2022. Any questions can be sent to Dan Hicks by email or by calling 719-873-0152.
Per Colorado State Statute an election can be cancelled when:
- The only matter before the voters is the election of persons to office.
- There are not more candidates than offices to be filled at such election.
- The clerk, if instructed by resolution of the governing body either before or after such date, shall cancel the election and by resolution declare the candidates elected. If so provided by ordinance, upon such declaration the candidates shall be deemed elected.
- Notice of such cancellation shall be published if possible, in order to inform the electors of the municipality, and notice of such cancellation shall be posted in not less than one public place.
Refer to C.R.S. 31-10-507 for additional information.
If you are wondering if you are eligible to vote in the Town of South Fork Municipal elections you can verify your voter registration status with the Rio Grande County Clerk or by visiting www.govotecolorado.com.
This site allows you to register to vote, check voter registration status and review mailing address information for accuracy.
Per Colorado State Statute, the Qualifications of the Municipal Electors include, but are not limited to the following:
- Are a U.S. citizen
- Are 18 years of age or older on the date of the election at which you intend to vote
- Are a Colorado resident for at least 22 days before the election at which you intend to vote
- Are not serving a sentence (including parole) for a felony conviction
Refer to C.R.S. 31-10-201 for additional information.
Per Colorado State Statute, the Qualifications for Electors to hold office include, but are not limited to the following:
- Are 18 years of age unless another age is required by ordinance
- Resides in the municipality for at least 12 consecutive months immediately preceding the date of the election
- No Elector can be a candidate for two municipal offices at the same election
Refer to C.R.S. 31-10-301 for additional information.